1. If the three strikes law is continued, will it cause future crowding problems within prisons, or should more prisons just be built? Will iy have an effect on the future construction of prisons or the prison system.
2. If the three strikes law is continued, will it cause future crowding problems within prisons, or should more prisons just be built? Explain what effect you think this law will have on the future construction of prisons or the prison system© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 16, 2018, 11:14 pm ad1c9bdddf
You did not state a word count. The following will assist you with your studies and give you a better understanding for the subject matter. Each question has been addressed and includes a citation and reference link to expand your knowledge further and assist in the writing of your paper.
1. If the three strikes law is continued, will it cause future crowding problems within prisons, or should more prisons just be built? Will it have an effect on the future construction of prisons or the prison system?
The goal of the law is to deter crime. Through incarceration and probation on the first two offenses, the Courts hope to deter the criminal from making a third offense.
While 26 of the 52 States have enacted a version of the "Three Strikes Law," California's version appears to be the toughest in the country. The incarceration rates for this demographic are "Only 5% (7,626) of the state's 163,000 prison inmates ...
The solution addresses the three strikes law.
Three Strikes Laws
Three strikes laws are punitive and controversial in nature. Politicians commonly highlight such laws to garner support during their election campaigns by presenting a tough approach toward controlling crime. On the other hand, there are police officers who may face increased violent resistance from hardened criminals who would be aware that such laws would ensure their being in prison for the rest of their lives.
To understand these different perspectives, this assignment requires you to review three strikes laws from the perspectives of a police officer and a politician.
As a police officer, write a review of three strikes laws around the following points:
- Top three advantages of three strikes laws.
- Top three disadvantages of three strikes laws.
- Impact of three strikes laws on police safety.
- Impact of three strikes laws on community.
As a politician, your review of the three strikes legislation should address the following:
- Your political ideology and stand on three strikes laws.
- Rationale for supporting or not supporting three strikes laws in the context of:
-- Public safety concerns.
-- Political concerns.
-- Social justice concerns.