Visit www.nea.org and www.aft.org to answer the following 20 questions.
1. What does NEA stand for?
2. What is its vision?
3. What is its mission?
4. Briefly summarize the history of the NEA
5. Who is the current president?
6. What does the website say about him?
7. How many members does it have?
8. What is one of the highlights listed under â??Classroom management?â?
9. List 3 grants or awards offered by NEA
10. List 3 Policy Briefs on the NEA Positions & Actions regarding Achievement Gaps
11. List the 7 publications of NEA
12. What does AFT stand for?
13. Summarize the mission of AFT (in your own words)
14. Briefly summarize the history of the AFT
15. Who is the organizationâ??s president?
16. How many members does AFT have?
17. Name 4 well-known former members of AFT.
18. List the titles of 7 publications of AFT
19. List five categories of â??Hot Topicsâ?
20. Summarize the differences between AFT and NEA (in your own words).
1. NEA - National Education Association
2. VISION - Have a great public school for every student
3. MISSION - From their website, "Our mission is to advocate for education professionals and to unite our members and the nation to fulfill the promise of public education to prepare every student to succeed in a diverse and interdependent world."
4. HISTORY: Established in 1857 with a total of 100 educators. In 1966, they joined together with the American Teacher Association and currently they have a total of over 3.2 million members. If you go to this website, http://www.nea.org/home/1704.htm, you can find a very in-depth history of NEA. (I'm not sure how much information you need.)
5. PRESIDENT - Dennis Van Roekel
6. The website says he is a 23-year teaching veteran and longtime activist and advocate for children and public education, is president of the 3.2 million-member National Education Association.
7. The association has over 275,000 members
8. Disciple - Order in the Classroom
9. NEA Friends of Education Award, NEA Rural Grants, NEA HIN: Ryan White HIV Prevention Awards
10. Promoting educators cultural competence to better serve culturally diverse students; English language learners face unique challenges, parent family and community involvement in education
11. 7 PUBLICATIONS: www.neatoday.org; nea today magazine; this active life; tomorrow's teachers; higher ...
A look at the NEA (National Education Association) and the AFT (American Federation of Teachers) and how they are similar and different. Discussed are each of the organization's visions and goals, their history, leadership and what each organization was developed to do.