Name and describe 5 different Water Pollutants? Including the source of it, method of pollution, and possible control technology for each one.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 24, 2018, 10:33 pm ad1c9bdddf
There are many substances that contaminate water. Among them are:
Volatile organics (solvents)
Many problems, such as crude oil and human waste, can be treated with microorganisms. Certain bacteria and fungus can effectively metabolize harmful compounds, producing harmless waste biproducts. For example the fungus Phanerochaete chysosporium, or white rot fungus, degrades organics such as benzo(a)pyrene, pyrene, fluorene, and phenanthrene. In order to take full advantage of these organisms, humans sometimes need to increase their populations artificially, or change the environmental conditions, such as pH, to favor their growth. Chlorinated aliphatic compounds are often transformed only under anaerobic conditions.
When the problem is large or an immanent threat to public health, more hands-on methods are employed. Absorbent materials can be used to contain the spill, and when they are removed the pollutants are as well. People can be employed to actively clean and remediate an area.
A significant water pollution problem in most states is non-point source ...
Several water pollutants are explored for their source, their effects, and ways to be controlled.
Identify and support Environmental Impacts for a Wastewater Treatment Facility.
1. Identify all environmental impacts likely to cause significant impacts and prioritize them in the order of importance, stating clearly the process and factors used in their prioritization.
2. Research available control measures and recommend at least two options to control pollution, minimize impacts and comply with Singapore regulations.
3. Recommendations should provide detailed information and data e.g. regulatory requirements, financial costs and benefits and other information to support the proposal.
4. Also expected to discuss the impact (benefits and problems) of the control measures that have recommended.
5. Select an industry or type of operation from among the following:
Electronics and semiconductor industry, printing and laminating services, electroplating and metal finishing, transportation, shipyard, hotel and food service, hospital, research and laboratory operation, commercial building management, water and wastewater treatment, power generation, petrochemical,