1. What is an entity? An attribute?
2. What is a one-to-many relationship? Give two examples of entities that have one-to-many relationships.
3. What is a DBMS?
4. How is it possible to get more information from the same amount of data though using a database approach as opposed to a file approach?
5. What is a DBA? What kinds of things does a DBA do in a database environment?
6. How does consistency result from controlling or eliminating redundancy?
7.What is meant by security? What does the DBMS have to do with security?
8. How can the size of a DBMS be one of its disadvantage?
9. Why can a failure in a database environment be more serious than one in a file environment?
10. What is a relational database ?
11. How is the term attribute used in the relational model? What is a more common
of the name for it?
12. What does it mean to quality the name of a field? How is this done?
13. Give an example of an attribute, A, and another attribute, B, such that B is functionally dependent on A. Give an example of an attribute, C, and an attribute, D, such that D is not functionally dependent on C.
14. Define candidate key.
15. Define second normal form. What types of problems are encountered in table that are in second normal form.
16. Consider a student table containing a student's number, student's name, student's major department, student advisor's number, student advisor's name, student advisor's office number, student advisor's phone number, student's number of credits, and student's class standing (freshman, sophomore, and so on). List the functional dependencies that exist, along with the assumptions that would support these dependencies.
17. Convert the following table to an equivalent collection of tables that is in 3NF.
PATIENT (HOUSEHOLD_NUMBER, HOUSEHOLD_NAME, HOUSEHOLD_STREET,
HOUSEHOLD_CITY, HOUSEHOLD_STATE, HOUSEHOLD_ZIP,
BALANCE, PATIENT _NUMBER, PATIENT _NAME
(SERVICE_CODE, SERVICE_DESCRIPTION, SERVICE_FEE,
This is a table concerning information about patients of a dentist. Each patient belongs to a household. The head of the household is designated as HH in the table. The following dependencies exist in the PATIENT table:
PATIENT_NUMBERà HOUSEHOLD_NUMBER, HOUSEHOLD_NAME,
HOUSEHOLD_STREET, HOUSEHOLD_CITY, HOUSEHOLD_STATE,
HOUSEHOLD_ZIP, BALANCE, PATIENT _NAME
HOUSEHOLD_NUMBERà HOUSEHOLD_NAME, HOUSEHOLD_STREET,
HOUSEHOLD_CITY, HOUSEHOLD_STATE, HOUSEHOLD_ZIP, BALANCE
SERVICE_CODEà SERVICE_DESCRIPTION, SERVICE_FEE
PATIENT_NUMBER, SERVICE_CODEà SERVICE_DATE
18. Using your knowledge of a college environment, determine the functional dependencies that exist in the following table. After these have been determined, covert this table to an equivalent collection of tables that are in 3NF.
STUDENT (STUDENT_NUMBER, STUDENT_NAME, NUMBER_CREDITS, ADVISOR_NUMBER, ADVISOR_NAME, DEPTNUMB, DEPTNAME, (COURSE_NUMBER, COURSE_DESCRIPTION, COURSE_TERM, GRADE))
A database concept is presented.