1. What is the difference between Token Ring and Ethernet?
2. Name and describe two topologies besides Token Ring and Ethernet.
3. What is CSMA/CD and how does it work?
4. What do you feel is the future for Token Ring? What are its advantages or disadvantages?
1. Token ring is a local area network protocol wherein a special 3-byte frame called token goes around the network. The computer that has the token is given access to communicate over the network. The physical topology is a star, but it has a logical ring topology wherein the token goes around the network like traveling in a loop loop (going from one computer to another until every computer receives the token and goes back again to the starting computer). Ethernet on the other hand, is a network technology that allows every computer in the network to see each other and ...
This posting contains answers to the token ring vs. ethernet question.