Hi. I'd like to check answers to some things before my final. I like handwritten work because it really helps me with the thought processes, like taking a test.
1. Write an equation for the sequential hydroboration and H2O2/OH ̄ oxidation of 4-ethyl-3- heptene.
2. Indicate the main monosubstitution products in each of the following reactions.
a. 1,3,5-trimethylbenzene + bromine (Fe catalyst)
b. 4-ethoxynitrobenzene + bromine (Fe catalyst)
3. Which of the following substances can exist in an optically active form? Draw structures, and locate with an asterisk all chiral centers in each compound.
a. 2-chlorobutane b. 1,2-dichlorobutane
4. How many stereoisomers are possible for each of the following substances? Draw them, and name each by the R-S and E-Z conventions.
5. Draw out each of the following equations in a way that shows clearly the stereochemistry of the reactants and products.
a. (R)-2-bromobutane + methanol (arrowSN1) 2-methoxybutane
b. (R)-3-bromohexane + sodium methoxide (arrowSN2) 3-methoxyhexane (in methanol)
The solution contains reactions of alkenes with names of stereoisomers with step-by-step workings and adequate explanations in a written format for greater clarity.