Book Title: Excellence in Business
Authors: Bovee, Thill, Mescon
Publisher: Prentice Hall
Assume you are the production manager for a small machine shop that manufactures precision parts for industrial equipment. How would you address the following set of questions:
1. Can you use CAD, CAE, CAM, CIM, and FMS to manufacture better parts more easily? Explain.
2. If your final product requires several unique subunits that are all produced with different machinery and in differing lengths of time, what facility layout will you choose and why?
3. Look up on the Internet "franchising". Based on your readings, from an operational perspective, why is purchasing a franchise such as Wendy's or Jiffy Lube an attractive alternative for starting a business?
4. Review the discussion of corporate culture on pages 178-180 in Chapter 7. What things could you learn about a company's culture by observing the layout and design of its production facility? Discuss both goods and services operations.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com March 21, 2019, 11:28 am ad1c9bdddf
1. Can you use CAD, CAE, CAM, CIM, and FMS to manufacture better parts more easily? EXPLAIN
Yes, CAD, CAE, CAM, CIM, and FMS can be used to manufacture better parts easily.
Computer-aided design; the use of a computer in industrial design applications such as architecture, engineering and manufacturing. Computer-aided design. An automated system for the design, drafting, and display of graphically oriented information. So, CAD can be used to manufacture better parts easily. Computer Aided (or Assisted) Design or Drafting. It means using computers to design products or architecture. Sometimes CAD output is sent directly to operate the machinery that makes the product; this is called Computer Aided Manufacturing. Computer-aided manufacturing; the use of computers to assist in any or all phases of manufacturing. N/C is one form of CAM.
Computer-aided engineering. The construction and analysis of objects using virtual computer models. This may include activities of design, planning, construction, analysis, and production planning and preparation. So, CAE can be used to manufacture better parts easily.
The use of computers to help with all phases of engineering design work. Like computer aided design, but also involving the conceptual and analytical design steps.
Computer Integrated Manufacture brings together many aspects of the business process such as production, sales, financial management and distribution. So, CIM can be used to manufacture better parts easily. Computer Integrated Manufacturing refers to the integrated use of computer aided techniques in manufacturing. This includes CAD, CAE, CAM, etc, but the term is interpreted in a variety of ways by various suppliers of CIM solutions. The main requirement of CIM is a central shared database that may be accessed by the different disciplines deployed during the manufacturing process, such as design, development, manufacture, distribution, billing etc. CIM is a superset of CAM.
Financial Management System FMS is the electronic general ledger for VA. Its purpose is to track obligations and expenditures by facility and time period (month, quarter and fiscal year). Cost centers and subaccounts (budget object codes) are used to organize the data by purpose, such as labor costs, medical supplies, and overhead. So, FMS can be used to manufacture better parts easily.
.2 If your final production requires several uniques subunits that are all produced with different machinery and ...
Here is just a sample of what you'll find in this solution:
"So, CIM can be used to manufacture better parts easily. Computer Integrated Manufacturing refers to the integrated use of computer aided techniques in manufacturing. This includes..."