Your manager informs you that you have been promoted to a new position at one of the U.S. firm's foreign branches. She cautions you that based on some bad experiences she has had when she worked overseas, a heightened awareness and sensitivity to different cultural norms is required to be successful when you move to and work in one of these countries. She suggested that you gain some valuable insights by studying the cultural dimensions theory, which is an excellent model to explain how different cultural norms could affect the workplace.
After researching the cultural dimensions theory, complete the following tasks:
Go to http://www.geert-hofstede.com and identify how values in the United States compare to the world average in the following 3 categories (To do this, click on country from the menu on the left side of the screen, and observe the charts in the middle of the screen):
- Power distance
- Long-term orientation
- Explain exactly how your actions as a manager might reflect these index scores versus the world average index scores.
3 categories (To do this, click on country from the menu on the left side of the screen, and observe the charts in the middle of the screen):
Values in the USA are 91 where as the world average is 43. The explanation is that US has a society with a more individualistic attitude and loose bonds with others.
2. Power distance
Values in the USA are a power distance of 40, whereas the world average is 55. This means greater equality among societal levels.
3. Long-term orientation
Values in the USA are 29 compared to the world average of 45. This shows that the societies' belief in meeting its obligation and reflects an appreciation for cultural traditions.
4. Explain exactly how your actions as a manager might reflect these index scores versus the world ...
This solution discusses cultural differences in 530 words.
1. In the case The EC Shatters Microsoft's Window
a. What are the background reasons behind all these different historic, political, legal, and business practices that gave rise to this situation?
b. Are there any differences in the approach to globalization?
2. Describe the term Managing Interdependence in Global arena and how the profitability of individual companies depends on cooperative attitudes toward global interdependence.
3. What are your recommendations for the MNC in Managing Interdependence between MNC subsidiaries and host country companies?
4. Evaluate Hofstede' four value of dimensions. How this knowledge will help the Managers of Multinational Corporations?
5. Interpret Trompenaar's Findings in cultural values and suggest strategies for managing MNC based on Trompenaar's Findings.
6. What is meant by the culture of a society, and why is it important for international managers to understand it? Do you notice cultural differences among your classmates? How do those differences affect the class environment? Your group projects? Your work environment? What are your suggestions you can provide to minimize disagreements and maximize productivity in corporations that lack diversity?
7. Discuss the role of information systems in a company, how and why it varies from country to country. Describe the effects of these variations in companies in different countries.
8. Discuss the stages in the negotiations process and how culturally based value system influence these stages. Explain the role of relative importance of relationship building in different countries explained in your textbook. Discuss the various styles and tactics that can be involved in exchanging task-related information.View Full Posting Details