Please see attachment for proper format.
Far North Telecom, Ltd., of Ontario, has organized a new division to manufacture and sell specialty cellular telephones. The division's monthly costs are shown in the table below. Far North Telecom regards all of its workers as full-time employees and the company has a long-standing no layoff policy. Furthermore, production is highly automated. Accordingly, the company includes its labor costs in its fixed manufacturing overhead. The cellular phones sell for $150 each. During September, the first month of operations, the following activity was recorded: 12,000 units produced, 10,000 units sold. Comment on the five questions below the table. Respond to at least two of your fellow students' postings.
Variable costs per unit:
Direct Materials $48
Variable manufacturing overhead $2
Fixed manufacturing overhead costs (total) $360,000
Selling and administration costs:
Variable 12% of sales
Fixed (total) $470,000
1. Compute the unit product cost under:
o absorption costing
o variable costing
2. Prepare an absorption costing income statement for September
3. Prepare a contribution format income statement for September using variable costing.
4. Assume that the company must obtain additional financing in order to continue operations. As a member of top management, would you prefer to rely n the statement in (b) above or in (3) above when meeting with a group of prospective investors?
5. Reconcile the absorption costing and variable costing net operating incomes in (2) and (3) above.
The solution discusses managerial accounting for Far North Telecom Ltd.