Your company has just hired your foreign friend to work in a middle-management position. Since you have lived in the United States for many years, your friend believes that you understand job coaching for a traditional American company. She wants to work with you and has many questions—some of which concern the manner in which cultural nuances related to religious customs, verbal and nonverbal communication, etc. may affect leadership roles.
1. Recommend whether or not your friend should insert herself as a coach from the beginning. Provide a rationale for your response.
2. Determine two (2) conflicts that could possibly arise as a result of asking people to work on days of religious significance. Propose concrete solutions for these two (2) possible conflicts.
3. Determine whether or not cultural quirks could restrain the foreign manager from expressing his or her ideas readily. Provide a rationale for your response.
4. Determine two (2) actions that you can take in order to prepare yourself and your friend to become multicultural leaders. Provide two (2) examples to support your response.
5. Predict two (2) major conflicts that may arise out of nonverbal communication misunderstandings (e.g., words misinterpreted, hand gestures, looks, shoulder shrugs, names of objects, etc.). Suggest two (2) actions that your friend could take in order to diffuse these types of misunderstandings and thus make the workplace more harmonious. Justify your response.
There are many things to considered and think about when taking on a manager's role in a foreign country. The leader should prepare to handle the cultural differences by understanding and learning about cultural quirks, norms, appropriate gestures and body language as well as understanding religion and the impact of asking employees to work on a religious holiday.
Managers in the international arena; authentic leadership; ethically responsible
This is a detailed response to what U.S. managers need to know about leading in the international arena. In 1626 words, 10 references in APA format, this response identifies and describes three important guidelines that can be of practical value; including authentic leadership and ethically responsible leadership. Here is a small sample of what you will see: Prospective international managers must first realize there is no single way to enter a foreign market. Businesses must choose the model appropriate to their level of resources, market potential, and experience operating in the international sphere. The various categories of international business models include........View Full Posting Details