1. Use the following information to calculate for the year ended December 31.
Operating expenses $12,000
Accounts payable $9,000
Accounts receivable $3,000
Beginning Stockholders' $5,000
Notes payable $1,000
a. net income (net loss) ___________
b. ending stockholders' equity ___________
c. total assets ___________
2. For each of the following accounts indicate the effect of a debit or a credit on the account and the normal balance (debit or credit). Increase (+), Decrease (-).
Debit Credit Normal Balance
a. Salary expense _________ ____________ _______________
b. Accounts receivable __________ ____________ _______________
c. Service revenue __________ ____________ _______________
d. Retained Earnings __________ ____________ _______________
3. On December 31, Gomez Company prepared an income statement and balance sheet and failed to take into account three adjusting entries. The incorrect income statement showed net income of $40,000. The balance sheet showed total assets, $120,000; total liabilities, $45,000; and stockholders' equity, $75,000.
The data for the three adjusting entries were:
(1) Depreciation of $9,000 was not recorded on equipment
(2) Wages amounting to $8,000 for the last two days in December were not paid and not recorded. The next payroll will be in January next year.
(3) Rent of $14,000 was paid for two months in advance on December 1. The entire amount was debited to Rent Expense when paid.
Complete the following tabulation to correct the financial statement amounts shown (indicate deductions with parenthesis):
Net Income Total Assets Total Liabilities Stockholders' Equity
Incorrect balances $40,000 $120,000 $45,000 $75,000
Depreciation ___________ ____________ _________________ _______________
Wages ___________ ____________ _________________ _______________
Rent ___________ ____________ _________________ _______________
a. ________________ provides the highest ending inventory
b. ________________ provides the highest cost of goods sold
c. ________________ results in the highest net income
d. ________________ results in the lowest income tax expense
5. Use the following information to calculate three profitability ratios for CMP Inc. for the year:
Net income $12,000
Total assets $140,000
Total common stockholders' equity $96,000
The expert examines the use of accounting equations, Gomez increase or decrease and LIFO and FIFO. The profit margin percentages are determined.