Examine and critically analyze the following logistic question (pro/cons):
Logistics supportability should be considered as being as important as operational capability and technical performance when electing a new capital system
Is this really practical?
LOGISTICS SUPPORTABILITY SHOULD BE CONSIDERED AS BEING AS IMPORTANT AS OPERATIONAL CAPABILITY AND TECHNICAL PERFORMANCE WHEN SELECTING A NEW CAPITAL SYSTEM
Logistics supportability refers to the business planning process for the management of materials, service, information and capital. It even encompasses the information, communication and control systems that are essential in today's business.
Operational capability refers to the operational effectiveness from crisis control to proactive business value management. As the operational capability increases the business becomes more effective in delivering cost-effective products and services.
Technical performance refers to the balance that is achieved between the cost, schedule, and performance throughout the life cycle. It includes technical development and design. It also lays down the parameters of performance, cost, schedule and progress in risk handling.
1. Logistics is intrinsically involved with inventory and material handling and these are very important for the business.
2. Logistics ensures the accuracy of the orders shipped otherwise there will be customer dissatisfaction.
3. Logistics is important for maintaining orders cycle time and this ensures competitive advantage.
4. Logistics is important for improving the percentage of orders fulfilled and the accuracy of the orders shipped.
5. Logistics is required to ensure that there is work flow in the production process;
6. Logistics ensures that there is time, place and form utility;
7. Logistics is related to reducing overall costs and giving the company competitive advantage.
8. Logistics ensures that there is speedy delivery to the customers;
9. Traceability of deliveries through tracking facilities improves customer satisfaction:
10. Cost effective deliveries is an important source of competitive advantage:
11. Logistics supportability often means cost advantage that translates into a ...
This posting gives you an in-depth insight into logistics supportability.