You are required to do a case analysis of Unicord PLC, a Thai company.
1. To maximize the mark you receive on your case analysis report, ensure that it includes the sections listed below. Use a bold heading to identify each section in your paper.
• Executive summary (half page): provides a coherent overview of the document it attempts to summarize. The summary must contain a brief statement of the problem, pertinent details, and all important recommendations. The summary is generally written after completing other sections of the report.
• Problem statement (one short paragraph): identifies the problem or issue facing the decision-maker. What is s/he trying to solve? Do not confuse the problem with its underlying causes. Likewise, do not "change" the problem. For example, if the problem is deciding whether a firm should enter Mexico via a joint venture, do not argue that China would be an ideal country for the firm to enter.
• Analysis (two pages): identifies key issues and their causes. It should provide a well-balanced and detailed analysis of the situation by examining all relevant factors. Remember that unless you correctly identify the cause of a problem, it will be difficult to find a solution that "really" solves the problem!
• Discussion of alternatives (one page): includes several feasible alternatives that can be utilized to solve the problem. Do not discuss alternatives that the decision-maker has rejected or about which they are not enthusiastic. Discuss all important advantages and disadvantages of each alternative.
• Recommendations (one page): explicitly identifies your recommendations. Ensure that they are specific and feasible, and briefly explain your rationale for advocating a particular recommendation. Make sure as well that your recommendation is consistent with the rest of your report. Check to see if you have really addressed the problem causes!
2. Do not repeat factual information from the case unless you are using it to support your arguments and/or recommendations.
3. Be sure to use exhibits to support your analysis and recommendations, but do not forget to direct the reader to the proper exhibit in the body of your paper.
4. Read your report carefully to check for punctuation, spelling, and grammatical errors before submitting it for grading.
Case Analysis Questions
The following questions are just a starting point that will help you organize your thoughts and better analyze the case. DO NOT simply answer these questions—rather, you must write a thorough case analysis:
1. What was the logic underlying Unicord's acquisition of Bumble Bee?
2. What is your evaluation of this logic?
3. Which aspect(s) of Unicord's logic changed after it acquired Bumble Bee? Which of these aspects were controllable and which were uncontrollable?
4. How did various events in Unicord's firm-specific, external, and managerial contexts bring about Unicord's downfall?
5. What lessons emerge from the Unicord-Bumble Bee saga? What would these mean to you if you were a senior corporate strategist? In hindsight, what could Unicord have done differently?
NOTE the following corrections to the Unicord case:
1. The introductory paragraph on page 1 (which begins "Late in Autumn ...") incorrectly states that Bumble Bee Seafoods was acquired by Unicord in 1991. This correct date is 1989.
2. On Page 2, the first paragraph under the heading The Global Tuna Industry refers to Appendix A, when in fact, the case does not have any appendices.
Here, in this case of Unicord's acquisition of Bumble-Bee we will try to explain the rationale of this acquisition or we can say the bases on which this decision regarding the acquisition was made. Subsequent to this we will discuss the aspect(s) of Unicord's logic that changed after it acquired Bumble Bee along with the explanation of the aspects that were controllable and uncontrollable. This case will be discussed around the problem statement of what was the reason underlying the acquisition of Bumble Bee along with number of other events in Unicord's firm-specific, external and managerial contexts that brought about Unicord's downfall. In addition we will discuss the alternatives that could have been taken by the Unicord at the time of its uncontrollable events along with some peculiar recommendations in its different steps it taken to correct the situation.
This case analysis evaluates a company Unicord PLC, which is headquartered in Bangkok and its acquisition of Bumble Bee Seafood Company. This case revolves around the problem that "what was the reason underlying the Unicord's acquisition of Bumble Bee and how it deviated from those manifestations of acquisition?"
This problem statement in regard to this case analysis of Unicord demonstrates that what was the logic of the company to acquire U.S. based Bumble Bee and how and at where it deviated from that logic it determined before acquisition. In addition to this it tries to exhibit the weaknesses at the part of the company and its strategies adopted for managing its business in U.S. Here, with this analysis we are trying to conclude the areas or domains where the company could have made some suitable business decisions for saving its well-recognized position.
The acquisition of Bumble Bee by Unicord was grounded on a number of needs and perspectives like getting access to tuna markets worldwide was an industry prerequisite for success. As Unicord was selling tuna to United States exclusively as a foreign company, it was incessantly at the pity of U.S. trade regulations and the company was frightened that an increase in American tariffs would cause to be its uncompetitive and lower sales. Additionally, the company executives were ...
This solution assists with the questions regarding the Unicord PLC case study.