The following selected transactions were taken from the books of Chandra Company for 2010.
1. On February 1, 2010, borrowed 60,000 cash for the local bank. The note had a 6 percent interest rate and was due on June 1, 2010.
2. Cash sales for the year amounted to 310, 000 plus sales tax at the rate of 7%.
3. Chandra provides a 90 day warranty on the merchandise sold. The warranty expense is estimated to be 1 percent of sales.
4. Paid the sales tax to the state sales tax agency on 280,000 of the sales.
5. Paid the note due on June 1 and the related interest.
6. On November 1, 2010, borrowed 50,000 cash from the local bank. The note had a 6% interest rate and a one-year term to maturity.
7. Paid 2400 in warranty repairs.
8. A customer has filed a lawsuit against Chandra for 500,000 for breach of contract. The company attorney does not believe the suit has merit.
a. 1. What amount of cash did Chandra pay for interest during the year?
2. What amount of interest expense is reported on Chandra's income statement for the year?
3. What is the amount of warranty expense for the year?
c. Show the effect of these transactions on the financial statements using a horizontal statement model. Use a + to indicate increase, a - for decrease, and NA for not affected. In the cash flow column, indicate whether the item is an operating act (OA), investing acti (IA), or financing act. (FA).
This solution computes the effect of various transactions on financial statements for Chandra Company.