In reading the Bridging the Digital Divide, Retrieved August 18, 2007 from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_report/1999/10/99/information_rich_information_poor/466651.stm
I need help with the following issues: Is the digital divide a major problem inside the United States, is the digital divide a major problem around the world, what type of solution/s would overcome the digital divide, and would these solutions involve public-sector organizations, private sector organizations, or non-profit sector organizations, what role could IT professionals and IT companies play in overcoming the digital divide. Please provide a brief explaination.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com September 25, 2018, 3:24 pm ad1c9bdddf - https://brainmass.com/business/e-commerce/bridging-digital-divide-united-states-192015
Is the digital divide a major problem inside the United States? Is the digital divide a major problem around the world?
Yes, it is a major problem not only in the US, but all across the world and is a matter of debate among politicians. Digital Divide not only exists within USA, but also exists between developed countries like USA and UK and underdeveloped or developing nations, such as countries in Africa and Asia. According to a July 2007 Pew Internet & American Life report, "47% of Americans have a broadband connection at home," an increase of 5% in one year. Digital divide is a common subject in US politics and various government policies.
What type of solution/s would overcome the digital divide, and would these solutions involve public-sector organizations, private sector organizations, or non-profit sector organizations?
NITRD, a US government organization, recommends the following for overcoming digital divide:
1) Resolving the Digital Divide Demands a National Initiative
2) A national strategy will help to ensure coordinated efforts and widely dispersed benefits. While many distinct efforts are presently under way, panelists cautioned that piecemeal efforts would do little to alleviate this complex problem.
3) Community Relevance and Community Involvement is Essential for Solving the Divide
4) They strongly recommend that communities be involved in strategies to increase use of information technology tools and that the tools be used to solve existing community problems. It is imperative that solutions are culturally relevant and acceptable to the community involved.
5) Rethink Educational Approaches
A constructivist approach to teaching and learning is recommended. Using technology to educate is much more important than educating students about technology. Also, curricula must be made culturally ...