Explore BrainMass

Explore BrainMass

    Maximum Depreciation Deduction - Professor's Computer

    This content was COPIED from BrainMass.com - View the original, and get the already-completed solution here!

    In August of 2011, George, a college professor, acquired a computer system (5-year property) for $3,000 and used the computer 80% for teaching and research-related activities and the remaining 20% for personal use. Because George's employer provides him with a computer in his office at the university, the employer does not require him to have a computer at home. No election was made regarding Sec. 179. The maximum depreciation deduction for 2011 is:

    A. $0.
    B. $400.
    C. $800.
    D. $1,000.

    © BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 2, 2020, 4:38 am ad1c9bdddf
    https://brainmass.com/business/depreciation/maximum-depreciation-deduction-professors-computer-547668

    Solution Summary

    This solution provides the correct answer with explanation to the depreciation deduction question presented. The maximum amount of depreciation for George's computer is calculated, and the appropriate IRS tax code is referenced.

    $2.19

    ADVERTISEMENT