AlohaPets put on events for local pet owners. The company needs a database designed to keep track of the sponsor for the event and where the event is located. Each event needs a description, data, and cost. Separate costs are negotiated for each event. The company would also like to have a list of potential sponsors that includes each sponsor's contact information, such as the name, phone number and address. Each event will have a single sponsor, but a particular sponsor may sponsor more than one event. Each location will need an ID, contact person, and phone number. A particular event will use only one location, but a location may be used for multiple events.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 25, 2018, 8:13 am ad1c9bdddf
Entity Relationship Diagram (ERD)
An entity relationship diagram (ERD) is a model that is used in order to presents the logical relationships and interaction among system entities. So the main purpose of building ER-Diagram is to provide an overall view of the system and a blueprint for creating the physical data structure (Shelly, Cashman & Rosenblatt, 2009). ER-diagrams have three basic elements including entities, attributes and relationships. Entities are the things for which, ...
The solution discuses the entity relationship diagram in management analysis.
Database Analysis: Data Modeling and E-R Diagrams
After completing a course in database management, you have been asked to develop a preliminary ERD for a symphony orchestra. You discover the following entity types that should be included:
- CONCERT SEASON The season during which a series of concerts will be performed. Identifier is Opening_Date, which includes Month, Day, and Year.
- CONCERT A given performance of one or more compositions. Identifier is of the following: Month, Day, Year, and Time. Each concert typically has more than one concert date.
- COMPOSITION Compositions to be preformed at each concert. Identifier is Composition_ID, which consists of the following: COMPOSER_Name and Composition_Name. Another attribute is Movement_ID, which consist of two parts: Movement_Number and Movement_Name. Many, but not all, compositions have multiple movements
- CONDUCTOR Person who will conduct the concert. Identifier is Conductor_ID. Another attribute in Conductor_Name.
- SOLOIST Solo artist who performs a given compostion on a particular concert. Identifier is Soloist_ID. Another attribute is Soloist_Name.
During further discussion you discover the following:
- A concert season schedules one or more concerts. The particular concert is scheduled for only one season.
- A concert includes the performance of one or more compositions. A composition may be performed at one or more concerts or may not be performed.
- For each concert there is one conductor. A conductor may conduct any number of concerts or may not conduct any concerts.
- Each composition may require one or more soloists or may not require a soloist. A soloist may perform one or more compositions at a given concert or may not perform any composition. The symphony orchestra wishes to record the date when a soloist last performed a given composition (Date_Last_Performed).
Draw a ERD to represent what you have discovered. Identify a business rule in this description and explain how this business rule is modeled on the E-R diagram. Also draw a data model for this situation using the Visio.