In April 2010, the explosion on the British Petroleum (BP) Deepwater Horizon drilling rig killed 11 workers and injured 17 others. The rig continued to gush oil into the Gulf of Mexico until it was capped on July 15, 2010. The well was declared effectively dead by the United States federal government on September 19, 2010. By this time, almost 5 million barrels of crude oil leaked into the Gulf. Marine and wildlife habitats were damaged, and tourism and fishing industries were crippled along the Gulf Coast. Fishing grounds, national parks, wildlife sanctuaries, and beaches across Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida were threatened by the spill. The economy of this region was damaged by the spill. Many businesses were forced to close, and many people were left unemployed. The BP oil spill is considered an example of why many businesses and organizations need better corporate responsibility standards.
500 words on the ethical issues surrounding the BP oil spill incident of 2010. The following questions can be used as guidelines for your essay, but it is not required that all of these questions are answered. The use of the internet is prohibited for this case. Please list books references.
(1) Why is the BP oil spill considered a matter of corporate social responsibility?
(2) Discuss the BP oil spill in relation to business ethics.
(3) Which stakeholders were affected by the oil spill? How were these stakeholders affected?
(4) The natural environment is considered a stakeholder. What is BP's responsibility to the environment?
(5) How will this crisis affect the way businesses create their strategic plans?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com September 23, 2018, 2:28 pm ad1c9bdddf - https://brainmass.com/business/business-philosophy-and-ethics/479080
BP oil spill is considered a matter of corporate social responsibility. Had BP established adequate standards of corporate social responsibility, it would have taken safety measures that would have prevented the explosion on the drilling rig. There are several safeguards that normally would have prevented the explosion. However, these safeguards were neglected, in bad repair, and inadequate. This led to the explosion. Next had BP behaved in a responsible manner, it would not have allowed oil to gush into the Gulf of Mexico for such a long time. The explosion took place in April 2010 but the capping of the oil well took place in July 2010. If BP can drill for oil it must have equipment ready to cap an oil well if there is an explosion. The oil spill is a matter of corporate social responsibility.
From the ...
This posting gives you an in-depth insight into explosion on the British Petroleum