1. A new weight-watching company, Weight Reducers International, advertises that those who join will lose, on the average, 10 pounds the first two weeks with a standard deviation of 2.8 pounds A random sample of 50 people who joined the new weight reduction program revealed the mean loss to be 9 pounds. At the .05 level of significance, can we conclude that those joining Weight Reducers on average will lose less than 10 pounds? Determine the p-value.
2. Dole Pineapple, Inc. is concerned that the 16-ounce can of sliced pineapple is being overfilled. Assume the standard deviation of the process is .03 ounces. The quality control department took a random sample of 50 cans and found that the arithmetic mean weight was 16.05 ounces. At the 5 percent level of significance, can we conclude that the mean weight is greater than 16 ounces? Determine the p-value.
3. A recent article in The Wall Street Journal reported that the 30-year mortgage rate is now less than 6 percent. A sample of eight small banks in the Midwest revealed the following 30-year rates (in percent):
4.8 5.3 6.5 4.8 6.1 5.8 6.2 5.6
At the .01 significance level, can we conclude that the 30-year mortgage rate for small banks is less than 6 percent? Estimate the p-value.
4. A recent study focused on the number of times men and women who live alone buy take-out dinner in a month. The information is summarized below.
Statistic Men Women
Sample mean 24.51 22.69
Population standard deviation 4.48 3.86
Sample size 35 40
At the .01 significance level, is there a difference in the mean number of times men and women order take-out dinners in a month? What is the p-value?
5. Grand Strand Family Medical Center is specifically set up to treat minor medical emergencies for visitors to the Myrtle Beach area. There are two facilities, one in the Little River Area and the other in Murrells Inlet. The Quality Assurance Department wishes to compare the mean waiting time for patients at the two locations. Samples of the waiting times, reported in minutes, follow:
Location Waiting Time
Little River 31.73 28.77 29.53 22.08 29.47 18.60 32.94 25.18 29.82 26.49
Murrells Inlet 22.93 23.92 26.92 27.20 26.44 25.62 30.61 29.44 23.09 23.10 26.69 22.31
Assume the population standard deviations are not the same. At the .05 significance level, is there a difference in the mean waiting time?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com March 21, 2019, 9:45 pm ad1c9bdddf
solution explains how to determine the p-values