To do this, you will need to read the case located here: http://www.docshut.com/ymqyi/national-cranberry-cooperative-675014-pdf-eng.html
National Cranberry Cooperative:
1. Develop a process flow diagram for processing cranberries (both wet and dry). Show the capacities at the different stages.
2. What are the sources of variability affecting NCC's operations?
3. Suppose that a peak harvest-season day involves 18,000 barrels of berries, 70% of them wet harvested, arriving uniformnly over a twelve-hour period from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Would trucks have to wait to unload? When during the day would trucks be waiting? How much truck waiting time would you expect? What is the maximum number of trucks waiting during the day?
4. If it costs $20 per hour to rent a truck and driver, how much money is spent by truck waiting on a peak day?
5. Is the investment in a light meter system a good option?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com March 4, 2021, 10:44 pm ad1c9bdddf
Please find guidelines and ideas for National Cranberry Cooperative in the attached file.
Running Head: NATIONAL CRANBERRY COOPERATIVE
National Cranberry Cooperative
Process Flow Diagram for wet and dry cranberries
Arrival of berries- In the process fruit, first berries are arrived on receiving plant no.1. In which, average truck delivery was 75bbls.
Capacity of Temporary Holdings- 27 bins are used for holding both dry and wet berries. In which, 1-24 holding bins will hold 250bbls of barriers each and 25-27 will held 400 bbls of berries each.
Total capacity is: [(250*24) + (400*3)]
[6000 + 1200] that is 7200 bbls.
Destoning capacity- There are 3 destoning units and capacity of each unit is 1500 bbls, so the total capacity of destoning unit is: (1500 * 3) that is 4500 bbls.
Dechaffing capacity- There are 3 dechaffing units and capacity of each unit is 1500 bbls, so the total capacity of dechaffing unit is: (1500 * 3) that is 4500 bbls per hour.
Drying Capacity- There are 3 drying units and capacity of each unit is 200 bbls, so the total capacity of drying unit is: (200 * 3) that is 600 bbls.
Milling Capacity- In this step, berries are transferred to separator building from receiving building. Two types of quality grader are used in this step first jumbo separators and other is bailey mills. For this, 3 separator units are used, in which average capacity of each unit is 400 then total capacities are 1200 bbls (400 *3).
Bulking Capacity- Berries are directly loaded into bulk trucks. There are 2 bulk stations and capacity of each station is 1000 bbls, ...
The solution is attached as a 1200+ word document to allow for the flow diagram's formatting.