Explore BrainMass

Explore BrainMass

    Cost of trade credit / accounts receivable

    This content was COPIED from BrainMass.com - View the original, and get the already-completed solution here!

    I have been given a sample of study questions for my upcoming financial management test. Most of it I have been able to do fairly easily, but there are 5 questions I am having a difficult time with. Specifically, I am looking for not only the answer to these following questions, but how you came to get them as this is what I really need to know for the test. I've attached a file with the 5 questions on it. Any help at all will be appreciated.

    The following information is to be used to answer questions 5 questions:

    Discount percentage 3%
    Days of credit w/o being late 40
    Discount period 10
    Days nondiscount customers take to pay 65
    Annual sales $900,000
    % of customers who take the discount 30%
    % of customers who don't take the discount 70%
    % cost per period 3.09%
    Number of periods per year, assuming customers pay on time 12.167
    Number of periods per year, assuming customers pay late 6.636

    Acme Co. sells on terms of 3/10, net 40. Total sales for the year are $900,000. 30% of the customers pay on the 5th day and take discounts; the other 70% pay, on average, 65 days after their purchases, so they pay late. Assume a 365 day year for this problem, and also assume that both sales and accounts receivable are recorded net of discounts, regardless of whether or not customers take discounts.

    Nominal cost of trade credit
    1. What should the nominal cost of trade credit be to those customers who do not take discounts, based on a 365 day year, assuming that they pay on time, even though they do not?

    a. 35.12%
    b. 37.63%
    c. 39.44%
    d. 41.82%
    e. 43.35%

    Nominal cost of trade credit
    2. What is the actual nominal cost of trade credit to those customers who do not take discounts, based on a 365 day year, recognizing that they do not pay on time?

    a. 18.66%
    b. 19.22%
    c. 19.90%
    d. 20.52%
    e. 21.75%

    Effective cost of trade credit
    3. What is the effective cost of trade credit to those customers who do not take discounts, based on a 365 day year, recognizing that they do not pay on time?

    a. 22.40%
    b. 22.88%
    c. 23.46%
    d. 24.03%
    e. 24.91%

    Determining accounts receivable
    4. Assuming that Acme's sales are constant from year to year and also during each year, how much accounts receivable does the company have? Assume that both annual sales and accounts receivable are based on net sales, regardless of whether or not all customers take discounts.

    a. $109,231
    b. $114,871
    c. $119,589
    d. $123,257
    e. $127,984

    Days sales outstanding
    5. What is Acme's DSO?

    a. 42.5 days
    b. 44.0 days
    c. 45.5 days
    d. 47.0 days
    e. 48.5 days

    © BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com June 3, 2020, 9:14 pm ad1c9bdddf
    https://brainmass.com/business/accounts-receivable-management/cost-of-trade-credit-accounts-receivable-172504

    Attachments

    Solution Preview

    Please see the attached file

    Test 3 Study Guide
    Multi-part Problem

    The following information is to be used to answer questions 5 questions:

    Discount percentage 3%
    Days of credit w/o being late 40
    Discount period 10
    Days nondiscount customers take to pay 65
    Annual sales $900,000
    % of customers who take the discount 30%
    % of customers who don't take the discount 70%
    % cost per period 3.09%
    Number of periods per year, assuming customers pay on time 12.167
    Number of periods per year, assuming customers pay late 6.636

    Acme Co. sells on terms of 3/10, net 40. Total sales for the year are $900,000. 30% of the customers pay on the 5th day and take discounts; the other 70% pay, on average, 65 days after their purchases, so they pay late. Assume a 365 day year for this problem, and also assume that both sales and accounts receivable are recorded net of discounts, regardless of whether or not customers take ...

    Solution Summary

    The solution explains some mutliple choice questions relating to cost of trade credit and accounts receivable.

    $2.19

    ADVERTISEMENT