14. Actual results might differ from the static budget because _____.
a. sales and other cost-driver activities were not the same as originally forecasted
b. revenues or variable costs per unit of activity were not as expected
c. fixed costs per period were not as expected
d. all of these answers are correct
15. Effectiveness is indicated by _____.
a. sales-activity variances
b. static-budget variances
c. flexible-budget variances
d. all of these answers are correct
16. Samuel Company has two production departments, Mixing and Finishing, served by one maintenance department. Budgeted fixed costs for the maintenance department were $40,000, and the variable cost per labor hour was $4.00. Other relevant data are as follows:
Long-run capacity available* 18,000 12,000
Budgeted* 12,000 10,500
Actual* 15,000 9,000
*in labor hours
Actual maintenance department costs were $36,000 fixed and $100,000 variable. The amount of fixed maintenance costs allocated to the Mixing Department should be _____.
17. The _____ method recognizes that some service departments support the activities in the service departments as well as those in production departments.
18. Murphy Company has two service departments, Maintenance and Personnel, as well as two production departments, Mixing and Finishing. Maintenance costs are allocated based on square footage while personnel costs are allocated based on number of employees. The following information has been gathered for the current year:
Maintenance Personnel Mixing Finishing
Direct dept. costs $126,000 $84,000 $105,000 $175,000
Square footage 800 400 1,600 1,200
Number of employees 8 12 24 32
If the step-down method of allocating costs is used and the Personnel Department is allocated first, then the amount of overhead that would be allocated from Personnel to Mixing is _____.
19. Identify which of the following statements is not a problem with decentralization
a. Managers may make decisions that are not in the organization's best interests.
b. Managers tend to duplicate services that might be less expensive if centralize
c. Costs of accumulating and processing information are frequently reduced.
d. Managers may waste time bargaining with other segment managers about transfer prices.
20. Speedo Companys revenues are $300 on invested capital of $240. Expenses are currently 70% of sales. If Angelo Company can reduce its invested capital by 20%, return on investment will be _____.
21. The following information is available for the Bumbling Company:
Invested capital 156,250
The net income is _____.
22. Economic profit is defined as _____.
a. net income less "imputed" interest
b. sales less expenses
c. income divided by revenue
d. the same as ROI
23. Identify which of the following definitions of invested capital is not recommended for measuring the performance of division managers.
a. total assets
b. total assets less total liabilities
c. total assets employed
d. total assets less current liabilities
24. A transfer price exists when two segments of the same organization sell _____.
a. a product to the same customer
b. a service to each other
c. a product in a foreign country
d. the same service to competitors
25. The Table and Chair Divisions are part of the same company. Currently the Chair Division buys a part from Table for $384. The Table Division wants to increase the price of the part it sells to Chair by $96 to $480. The manager of Chair has stated that it cannot afford to go that high, as it will decrease the division's profit to near zero. Chair can buy the part from an outside supplier for $448. The cost data for the Table Division is as follows:
Direct materials $136.00
Direct labor 200.00
Variable overhead 40.00
Fixed overhead 38.40
If Table ceases to produce the parts for Chair, it will be able to avoid one third of the fixed manufacturing overhead. The Table Division has excess capacity but no alternative uses for its facilities. _____ is the maximum transfer price that should be charged.
26. The variable cost of Part X is $50 and the full cost of the part is $80. The part is produced in Country Z and transferred to a plant in Country B. Country Z has a 30% income tax rate. Country B has a 50% income tax rate and an import duty equal to 10% of the price of the item. Part X can be transferred at full cost or variable cost. Assume that Part X is priced at full cost. The income tax effect per unit in country Z is_____
a. an increase in tax by $9 per unit
b. a decrease in tax by $9 per unit
c. an increase in tax by $24 per unit
d. a decrease in tax by $24 per unit
27. Type 3 allocations are cost that flow from _____.
a. one organizational unit to another
b. the accounting system to an organizational unit
c. one organizational unit to the product
d. the product to the customer
The attached word document contains solutions to some accounting questions.
The questions deal largely with issues in managerial accounting.