Problem 1. The following information is for a product manufactured and sold by Rivera Corporation:
Sales price per unit, $30
Variable cost per unit, $20
Total fixed costs, $200,000
Last year, Rivera earned a profit of $60,000
1) How many units did Rivera sell last year?
2) Rivera's managers are considering decreasing the sales price to $28 in an effort to increase market share. Also, the company wants a profit of $80,000. How many units would it have to sell at the lower selling price to achieve this target?
Problem 2. The management accountant at Melrose, Inc. provided the following estimated costs for producing 5,000 units of a specialty product manufactured by the firm. The company believes that direct labor hours are the most appropriate cost driver for assigning overhead costs to its product.Please refer to the attachment to view the estimated costs.
1) Compute the predetermined overhead rate for this company.
2) Compute the specialty product's total estimated cost per unit.
3) Why do firms assign overhead costs using a predetermined overhead rate instead of assigning actual costs?
Your tutorial includes an Excel spreadsheet and a paragraph giving you two different ...