These color's are due to various pigments present in the leaves along with chlorophyl.
Pigments are chemical compounds which reflect only certain wavelengths of visible light. This makes them appear "colorful". Flowers, corals, and even animal skin contain pigments which give them their colors.
More important than their reflection of light is the ability of pigments to absorb certain wavelengths.
Because they interact with light to absorb only certain wavelengths, pigments are useful to plants and other autotrophs --organisms which make their own food using photosynthesis. In plants, algae, and cyanobacteria, pigments are the means by which the energy of sunlight is captured for photosynthesis. However, since each pigment reacts with only a narrow ...
Explanation with more than 500 words.
Genetic Mitosis & Meiosis
1) According to the Law of Segregation, in an organism with the genotype AaBb what types of gametes will be formed?
AB Ab aB ab
2) In garden peas, the allele for tall plants is dominant over the allele for short plants. A true-breeding tall plant is crossed with a short plant and one of their offspring is self-pollinated. Out of 20 offspring resulting from the self-pollination, about ________ should be tall.
TT x tt= Tt x Tt= TT Tt Tt tt ¾=15
4) Martians normally have three eyes (E), but the rare "humanoid" mutation (e) causes monsters with two eyes to be born. Eye color in Martians is inherited similarly to humans, with brown eyes (B) being dominant to blue (b). Assuming these two genes are carried on separate chromosomes, what must the genotypes of two normal, brown-eyed parents be if they have a blue-eyed, humanoid son?
EeBb x EeBb
5). Consider three yellow round peas, labeled A, B and C. Each was grown into a plant and crossed to a plant grown from a green wrinkled pea. Exactly 100 peas from each cross were sorted into phenotypic class as follows:
A: 51 yellow round, 49 green round
B: 100 yellow, round
C: 24 yellow round; 26 yellow wrinkled; 25 green round; 25 green wrinkled
What were the genotypes of A, B and C?
Use gene symbols of your choosing; be sure to define each one.
Y=yellow y=green S-round s-wrinkled
6). Phenylketonuria (PKU) is a human hereditary disorder that prevents body from processing the amino acid phenylalanine. PKU is manifested in early infancy and if remain untreated, generally cause mental retardation. PKU is caused by a simple Mendelian recessive allele.
A couple intends to have children but consults a genetic counselor because the man has a sister with PKU and a woman has a brother with PKU. There are no other known cases in both families. They ask the genetic counselor to determine the probability that their first child will have PKU.
What is this probability?
7. What type of cell division is presented on the picture below? How many cells are in anaphase? ( circle them)
8. Draw mitosis in a cell with 2n=2.
9. Name three main differences between mitosis and meiosis.
10. Draw meiosis stages for a cell with 2n=2. Assume that each chromosome carry different allele of gene A.
Not necessary to include all prophase stages.
After crossing tobacco plants with purple stem, green leaves and nonpurple stem, yellow leaves, in F2 students observed following results:
puple stem, green leaves 1297
nonpurple stem, green leaves 469
puprle stem, yellow leaves 433
nonpuprle stem, yellow leaves 164
Suggest a hypothesis how the traits are controlled and use Chi-square test to test your hypothesis.
See attached file for full problem description with images.View Full Posting Details