Explore BrainMass

Explore BrainMass

    Probability of passengers showing up

    This content was COPIED from BrainMass.com - View the original, and get the already-completed solution here!

    Airline overbooking is a common practice. Due to uncertain plans, many people cancel at the last minute or simply fail to show up. Air Eagle is a small commuter airline. Its past records indicate that 80% of the people who make a reservation will show up for the flight. The other 20% do not show up. Air Eagle decided to book 12 people for today's flight. Today's flight has just 10 seats.

    1. Find the probability that there are enough seats for all the passengers who show up. (hint: find the probability that in 12 people, 10 or less show up.)
    2. How many passengers are expected to show up?

    © BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com June 4, 2020, 3:16 am ad1c9bdddf
    https://brainmass.com/statistics/probability/probability-passengers-showing-up-506336

    Solution Preview

    1. Find the probability that there are enough seats for all the passengers who show up.

    Answer: Let X be the random variable representing the number of people ...

    Solution Summary

    The expert examines the probability of passengers showing up.

    $2.19

    ADVERTISEMENT