The federal government recently granted funds for a special program designed to reduce crime in high-crime areas. A study of the results of the program in eight high-crime areas of Miami, Florida, yielded the following results.
Number of Crimes by Area
A B C D E F G H
Before 14 7 4 5 17 12 8 9
After 2 7 3 6 8 13 3 5
Has there been a decrease in the number of crimes since the inauguration of the program?
Use the .01 significance level. Estimate the p-value.
1. State Null and alternate hypothesis
2. Select a level of significance
3. Identify the test statistic
4. Formulate a decision rule
5. Take a sample arrive at a decision
The solution examines hypothesis and p-values.