1. Consider the following hypothesis test:
Ho:u1-u2 = 0
Ha:u1-u2 does not equal 0
The following results are for two independent samples taken from the two populations.
N1 = 80
x1 = 104
o1 = 8.4
N2 = 70
x2 = 106
o2 = 7.6
1. What is the value of the test statistic?
2. What is the p-value?
3. With a=.05, what is your conclusion, reject or accept?
2. A study of wage differentials between men and women shows that one of the reasons wages for men are higher than wages for women is that men tend to have more years of work experience than women. Assume the following results.
1. What is the point estimate of the difference between the two population means?
2. At 95% confidence, what is the margin of error?
3. What is the 95% confidence interval estimate of the difference between the two population means?
3. Consider the following data for 2 independent random samples taken from two normal populations.
Sample 1 - 10,7,13,7,9,8
Sample 2 - 8,7,8,4,6,9
Sample 1 mean = 9
Sample 2 mean = 7
1. Compute the 2 sample standard deviations.
2. What is the point estimate of the difference between the two population means?
3. What is the 90% confidence interval estimate of the difference between the two population means?
This solution calculates p-values, the value of test statistics, the point estimates, the margin of error, and standard deviations.