a) Translate the following mathematical statements to the corresponding forms n wave mechanics: i) <n|m> = (see attached), where A is an hermitian operator.
b) By considering the expansion of (see attached) in terms of |n>, derive the following result which expresses the completeness property of the set of eigenstates.
(See attached)© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 24, 2018, 7:40 pm ad1c9bdddf
This Solution contains calculations to aid you in understanding the Solution to this question.
1. The wavelength spectrum of the radiation energy emitted from a system in thermal equilibrium is observes to have a maximum value which decreases with increasing temperature. Outline briefly the significance of this observation for quantum physics.
2. The “stopping potential” in a photoelectric cell depends only on the frequency v of the incident electromagnetic radiation and not on its intensity. Explain how the assumption that each photoelectron is emitted following the absorption of a single quantum of energy hv is consistent with this observation.
3. Write down the de Broglie equations relating the momentum and energy of free particle to, respectively, the wave number k and angular frequency w of the wave-function which describes the particle.
4. Write down the Heisenberg uncertainty Principle as it applies to the position x and momentum p of a particle moving in one dimension.
5. Estimate the minimum range of the momentum of a quark confined inside a proton size 10 ^ -15 m.
6. Explain briefly how the concept of wave-particle duality and the introduction of a wave packet for a particle satisfies the Uncertainty Principle.