1. A 9kg hanging weight is connected to a string over a pulley to a 5kg block that is sliding on a flat table. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.15, find the tension in the string.
2. A 50kg ice skater is moving at 5m/s when she grabs the loose end of a rope, the opposite end of which is tied to a pole. She then moves in a circle of radius 1m around the pole. Determine the force exerted by the rope on her arms.
5. A body oscillates with simple harmonic motion along the x-axis. Its displacement varies with time according to the equation x=5 sin (pi*t+pi/3). What is the velocity (in m/s) of the body at t=1 second?
6. The exhaust temperature of a Carnot heat engine is 350 degrees C. What is the intake temperature if the efficiency is 25%?
7. A house has well-insulated walls. It contains a volume of 100 m^3 of air at 300K. Calculate the energy required to increase the temperature of the diatomic gas by 2 deg C. Assume it is heating at constant pressure and use Cp+7R/2.
Step by step solution showing the relevant computation.