My topic: should teenagers be allowed to use tanning beds?
I have to have pros and cons with at least 5 references/scholarly sources and supporting facts. 1000 word critical thinking paper.
I only need help with pros and cons and sources
The cons are well established. The tanning industry has tried to put out pros, but recently, they lost a false advertising claim in a Texas court, so those can be thrown out. I gave you some notes and sources as to their arguments, however.
The Pros and Cons of Teen Tanning
The Centers for Disease Control is one of the main sources. They also maintain a database of teen risk behaviors. The last one was in 2011. 13.3% of all high school students use these, mostly white females, who make up about 30% of all users. As girls age, it gets higher. Freshman white females use it 11.7% of the total, but seniors are at 32%.
The International Agency for Research on Cancer (2006) has issued several empirical works showing that the UV radiation from tanning beds greatly increases the risks for two specific types of skin cancer: squamous cell carcinoma and melanoma. Their metastudy also included in their empirical work surveyed 23 studies. The results varied widely. The one indicator was that risks for various skin cancers increases greatly for light skinned peoples at the "first use" when under 30 years old.
This equates to a 75% increased risk of melanoma when the first use of the tanning bed is under 30 years. Both Vajdic (2004) and Piepkorn (2000) studies verify that the typical UV radiation emission from tanning beds causes both skin and eye cancer, since it is so much greater than the sun. In addition, the risk increases for each use
However, the tanning industry uses what they call "safe" tanning beds that emit about 50% of the UV radiation of the sun. The benefit here however, might be an "pro" because according to the Moan ...
The solution discusses a teenagers and tanning beds argument.
Present a mini proposal on Walmart's Policy on Women's Pay that includes the following:
1. Statement of problem. Provide a clear justification with evidence on why this study is relevant to your field and worthy of doctoral-level study. Support your efforts using scholarly information published within the past 5 years to ensure relevancy. Remember the problem statement should reflect your degree type (applied or research).
2. Purpose statement (how your study will address the problem using qualitative methodology). This statement should flow from the problem statement.
3. Research questions (make sure there is alignment with the problem and purpose).
4. Find 2 to 3 articles related to your topic of interest and provide an overview of the research methodology and design where you specifically discuss the elements below from each article and discuss how each applies (or does not apply to your current study):
- A specific qualitative design,
- The population and sample,
- Steps for data collection and protection of human subjects,
- Steps for the analysis of the data, and
- Issues of trustworthiness within a qualitative framework.
5. Based on your analysis above, what seems most applicable to your hypothetical study and why? Be sure to discuss the qualitative design, population and sample, data collection, analysis, and trustworthiness.
6. Discussion of the inherent strengths and challenges of your hypothetical study to include any ethical considerations that might need to be addressed in the study.
Make sure to support all assertions and research choices, using the attached resources as well as additional scholarly literature.
Make sure to justify steps and choices, using the attached resources to help support your points.
Be sure to use scholarly sources to support all assertions and research decisions. Ensure it is supported by at least 3 to 5 scholarly resources within the past 5 years to ensure relevancy. Also keep in mind that your problem statement should reflect a PhD degree.
Length: 5 to 7 pages
Using current APA standards.View Full Posting Details