E2-1 On numerous occasions, proposals have surfaced to put the federal government on the accrual basis of accounting. This is no small issue. If this basis were used, it would mean that billions in unrecorded liabilities would have to be booked, and the federal deficit would increase substantially.
(a) What is the difference between accrual-basis accounting and cash-basis accounting?
(b) Why would politicians prefer the cash basis over the accrual basis?
(c) Write a letter to your senator explaining why the federal government should adopt the
accrual basis of accounting.
E2-4 Karen Tong, D.D.S., opened a dental practice on January 1, 2002. During the first month of operations the following transactions occurred.
1. Performed services for patients who had dental plan insurance. At January 31, $875 of such services was earned but not yet billed to the insurance companies.
2. Utility expenses incurred but not paid prior to January 31 totaled $520.
3. Purchased dental equipment on January 1 for $80,000, paying $20,000 in cash and signing a $60,000, 3-year note payable. The equipment depreciates $400 per month. Interest is $500 per month.
4. Purchased a one-year malpractice insurance policy on January 1 for $12,000.
5. Purchased $1,600 of dental supplies. On January 31, determined that $700 of supplies were on hand.
Prepare the adjusting entries on January 31. Account titles are: Accumulated Depreciation?Dental Equipment, Depreciation Expense, Service Revenue, Accounts Receivable, Insurance Expense, Interest Expense, Interest Payable, Prepaid Insurance, Supplies, Supplies Expense, Utilities Expense, and Utilities Payable.
Contrast accrual-basis accounting and cash-basis accounting.
Accounting Equations: will you prefer the accrual basis accounting or the cash basis accounting?
1. You have started a sole-proprietorship business. It is a department store selling groceries. You receive payment for the sales made through either a credit card or cash. You pay your suppliers on a credit basis of 30 days.
To manage accounts for your sales and purchases efficiently, will you prefer the accrual basis accounting or the cash basis accounting? Discuss.View Full Posting Details