Not what you're looking for?
ABC Manufacturing is thinking of launching a new product. The company expects to sell $900,000 of the new product in the first year and $1,500,000 each year thereafter. Direct costs including labor and materials will be 55% of sales. Indirect incremental costs are estimated at $80,000 a year. The project will require a new plant that will cost a total of $1000,000 which will be depreciated straight line over the next five years. The new line will also require an additional net investment in inventory and receivables in the amount of 100,000. Assume there is not need for additional investment in building and land for the project. The firm's marginal tax rate is 40%, and its cost of capital is 10%. Based on this information you are to complete the following tasks.
Prepare a statement showing the incremental cash flows for this project over an 8-year period.
Calculate the Payback Period and the NPV for the project.
Based on your answer for question 2, do you think the project should be accepted? Why? Assume ABC has a P/B policy of not accepting projects with life of over three years.
If the project required additional investment in land and building, how would this affect your decision? Explain.
Purchase this Solution
- BE, Bangalore University, India
- MS, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- "Your explanation to the answers were very helpful."
- "What does 1 and 0 means in the repair column?"
- "Went through all of the formulas, excellent work! This really helped me!"
- "try others as well please"
- "Thank you, this helped a lot. I was not sure how to plug in those numbers to a formula. This was a great help. Now I have to figure out how to explain cost of capital is used in net present value analysis, and how cost of capital is used in net present value analysis. This stuff gets confusing."
Purchase this Solution
Free BrainMass Quizzes
Understanding production and cost phenomena will permit firms to make wise decisions concerning output volume.
This quiz is designed to assess your current ability for determining the characteristics of ethical behavior. It is essential that leaders, managers, and employees are able to distinguish between positive and negative ethical behavior. The quicker you assess a person's ethical tendency, the awareness empowers you to develop a strategy on how to interact with them.
Importance of Critical Thinking
This quiz gives students the opportunity to assess their knowledge of cost concepts used in managerial accounting such as opportunity costs, marginal costs, relevant costs and the benefits and relationships that derive from them.
The organizational behavior (OB) quiz will help you better understand organizational behavior through the lens of managers including workforce diversity.