Details: 1. Decision variables _______________. (Chapter 2)
a. measure the objective function
b. measure how much or how many items to produce,
purchase, hire, etc.
c. always exist for each constraint
d. measure the values of each constraint
2. The linear optimization technique for allocating constrained resources among different products is ______. (Chapter 3)
a. linear disaggregation
b. linear programming
c. linear regression analysis
d. linear decomposition
3. The production manager for Beer etc. produces 2 kinds of beer: light and dark. Two of his resources are constrained: malt, of which he can get at most 4800 oz per week; and wheat, of which he can get at most 3200 oz per week. Each bottle of light beer requires 12 oz of malt and 4 oz of wheat, while a bottle of dark beer uses 8 oz of malt and 8 oz of wheat. Profits for light beer are $2 per bottle, and profits for dark beer are $1 per bottle. For the production combination of 0 light and 400 dark, which resource is slack?
a. malt only
b. wheat only
c. both malt and wheat
d. neither malt nor wheat
4. Pairwise comparisons are used to _____. (Chapter 9)
a. compare criteria for the overall goal
b. compare choices on each criterion
c. all of the above
d. none of the above
5. Which of the following statements are not true? (Chapter 10)
a. The optimal solution to a nonlinear programming problem is always a global optimizer.
b. The optimal solution to a linear programming problem is always a global optimizer.
c. A and b
d. None of the above
6. A fast food chain is designing a new location and needs to determine how much driveway space to allow for cars waiting to drive up to the service window. The drive-thru service will have 3 pick-up windows and a single waiting line. At another location in a similar setting, the average service time is 4 minutes per customer and average arrival rate is 36 customers per hour. It is expected that the new location will have similar characteristics. What is the expected average number of cars in the system? (Chapter 13)
Answers to multiple choice questions on Linear programming, linear optimization, slack, Pairwise comparisons, queuing