Using an Excel spreadsheet (see attached file), complete Problems 1 & 2 below.
Problem 1 - Flecker Vending Company
Flecker Vending Company operates and services snack vending machines located in restaurants, gas stations, and factories in four northwestern states. The machines are rented from the manufacturer. In addition, Flecker must rent the space occupied by its machines. The following expense and revenue relationships pertain to a contemplated expansion program of 45 machines.
Fixed monthly expenses follow:
Machine rental: 45 machines @ $46.50 $2,093
Space rental: 45 locations @ $25.00 1,125
Part-time wages to service the additional 45 machines 1,200
Other fixed costs 350
Total monthly fixed costs $4,768
Other data follow:
Per Unit Per $100 of Sales
Selling price $1.00 100%
Cost of snack .75 75
Contribution margin $ .25 25%
These questions relate to the above data unless otherwise noted. Consider each question independently.
1. What is the monthly break-even point in number of units? In dollar sales?
2. If 30,000 units were sold, what would be the company's net income?
3. If the space rental cost were doubled, what would be the monthly break-even point in number of units?
In dollar sales?
4. If, in addition to the fixed rent, Delgado Food Services Company paid the vending machine manufacturer $.02 per unit sold, what would be the monthly break-even point in number of units? In dollar sales? Refer to the original data.
5. If, in addition to the fixed rent, Delgado paid the machine manufacturer $.04 for each unit sold in excess of the break-even point, what would the new net income be if 30,000 units were sold? Refer to the original data.
Problem 2 Morgan Tool Company
Chico Ruiz, president of Morgan Tool Co., has asked for information about the cost behavior of manufacturing support costs. Specifically, she wants to know how much support cost is fixed and how much is variable. The following data are the only records available:
Month Machine Hours Support Costs
May 900 $ 9,200
June 1,350 12,500
July 990 8,000
August 1,250 11,000
September 1,800 14,000
1. Find monthly fixed support cost and the variable support cost per machine hour by the high-low method.
2. Explain how our analysis for Requirement 1 would change if new October data were received and machine hours were 1,700 and support costs were $15,800.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 10, 2019, 3:05 am ad1c9bdddf
Break-even point for Flecker Vending and Morgan Tools are examined in the solution.