41. In January 2007, Castro Corporation, a newly formed company, issued 10,000 shares of its $10 par common stock for $15 per share. On July 1, 2007, Castro Corporation reacquired 1,000 shares of its outstanding stock for $12 per share. The acquisition of these treasury shares
a. decreased total stockholders' equity.
b. increased total stockholders' equity.
c. did not change total stockholders' equity.
d. decreased the number of issued shares.
43. When treasury stock is purchased for more than the par value of the stock and the cost method is used to account for treasury stock, what account(s) should be debited?
a. Treasury stock for the par value and paid-in capital in excess of par for the excess of the purchase price over the par value.
b. Paid-in capital in excess of par for the purchase price.
c. Treasury stock for the purchase price.
d. Treasury stock for the par value and retained earnings for the excess of the purchase price over the par value.
45. Wilson Corp. purchased its own par value stock on January 1, 2007 for $20,000 and debited the treasury stock account for the purchase price. The stock was subsequently sold for $12,000. The $8,000 difference between the cost and sales price should be recorded as a deduction from
a. additional paid-in capital to the extent that previous net "gains" from sales of the same class of stock are included therein; otherwise, from retained earnings.
b. additional paid-in capital without regard as to whether or not there have been previous net "gains" from sales of the same class of stock included therein.
c. retained earnings.
d. net income.
46. How should a "gain" from the sale of treasury stock be reflected when using the cost method of recording treasury stock transactions?
a. As ordinary earnings shown on the income statement.
b. As paid-in capital from treasury stock transactions.
c. As an increase in the amount shown for common stock.
d. As an extraordinary item shown on the income statement.
47. Which of the following best describes a possible result of treasury stock transactions by a corporation?
a. May increase but not decrease retained earnings.
b. May increase net income if the cost method is used.
c. May decrease but not increase retained earnings.
d. May decrease but not increase net income.
41. a. decreased total stockholders' equity.
Treasury stock is a contra equity account and so reduces total stockholders' equity
43. c. Treasury stock for the purchase price.
The entire purchase ...
The solution explains various multiple choice questions relating to stockholders equity