Explore BrainMass

Explore BrainMass

    Margin interest, yield, holding period return, Sharpe measure

    Not what you're looking for? Search our solutions OR ask your own Custom question.

    This content was COPIED from BrainMass.com - View the original, and get the already-completed solution here!

    1. You purchased 250 shares of common stock on margin for $25 per share. The initial margin is 65% and the stock pays no dividend. Your rate of return would be _____ if you sell the stock at $32 per share. Ignore interest on margin.
    a. 35% b. 39% c. 43% d. 28%

    2. The assets of a mutual fund are $25 million. The liabilities are $4 million. If the fund has 700,000 shares outstanding and pays a $3 dividend. What is the dividend yield?
    a. 5% b. 10% c. 15% d. 20%

    3. The offer price of an open-end fund is $17.90 and the fund is sold with the front-end of 4.5%? What is the fund's NAV (net asset value)?
    a. $18.74 b. $17.09 c. $15.40 d. $16.57

    4. You put up $50 at the beginning of the year for an investment. The value of the investment grows 4% and you earn a dividend of $3.50. Your HPR (holding period return) was?
    a. 4% b. 3.5% c. 7.5% d. 11%

    5. The geometric average of -12%, 20% and 25% is ___.
    a. 8.42% b. 11% c. 9.70% d. 18.88%

    6. Your investment has a 20% chance of earning a 30% rate of return, a 50% chance of earning a 10% rate of return and a 30% chance of losing 6%. What is your expected return on this investment?
    a. 12.8% b. 11% c. 8.9% d. 9.2%

    7. A portfolio with a 25% standard deviation generated a return of 15% last year when T-bills were paying 4.5%. This portfolio had a Sharpe measure of ___.
    a. 2.22 b. 0.60 c. 0.42 d. 0.25

    8. An investor invest 70% of her wealth in a risky asset with a expected rate of return of 15% and a variance of 5% and she puts 30% in a Treasury bill that pays 5% . Her portfolio's expected rate of return and standard deviation are _____ and ____ respectively.
    a. 10% and 6.7%
    b. 12% and 22.4%
    c. 12% and 15.7%
    d. 10% and 35%

    9. A portfolio is composed of two stocks. A and B. Stock A has a standard deviation of return of 24% while stock B has a standard deviation of return of 18%. Stock A comprises 60% of the portfolio while stock B comprises 40% of the portfolio. If the variance of return on the portfolio is .0380, the correlation coefficient between the returns on A and B is ___.
    a. 0.583 b. 0.225 c. 0.327 d. 0.128
    10. The standard deviation of return on investment A is .10 while the standard deviation of return on investment B is .05. If the covariance of returns on A and B is .0030, the correlation coefficient between the returns on A and B is ___.
    a. .12 b. .36 c. .60 d. .77

    11. A portfolio is composed of two stocks, A and B. Stock A has a standard deviation of return of 35% while stock B has a standard deviation of return of 15%. The correlation coefficient between the returns on A and B is 0.45. Stock A comprises 40% of the portfolio while stock B comprises 60% of the portfolio. The standard deviation of the return on this portfolio is___.
    a. 23% b. 19.76% c. 18.45% d. 17.67%

    12. A stock has a correlation with the market of 0.45. The standard deviation of the market is 21% and the standard deviation of the stock is 35%. What is the stock's beta?
    a. 1.00 b. 0.75 c. 0.60 d. 0.55
    13. Consider the CAPM (capital asset pricing model). The risk-free rate is 6% and the expected return on the market is 18%. What is the expected return on a stock with a beta of 1.3?
    a. 6% b. 15.6% c. 18% d. 21.6%
    14. Consider the CAPM. The risk-free rate is 5% and the expected return on the market is 15%. What is the beta on a stock with an expected return of 12%.
    a. .5 b. .7 c. 1.2 d. 1.4

    Use the following to answer questions 15 and 16
    return SML (security market line)
    15%
    10%
    5%
    0%
    1 2 beta

    15. What is the expected return on the market?
    a. 0% b. 5% c. 10% d. 15%
    16. What is the alpha of a portfolio with a beta of 2 and actual return of 15%
    a. 0% b. 13% c. 15% d. 17%

    © BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com March 4, 2021, 10:37 pm ad1c9bdddf
    https://brainmass.com/business/capital-asset-pricing-model/margin-interest-yield-holding-period-return-sharpe-measure-346707

    Attachments

    Solution Preview

    Answer:
    Given that,
    Number of shares purchased=250
    Purchase price of the share=$25
    Initial margin=65%
    Selling price of the share=$32
    Now,
    Total investment done by the investor=250*$25*65%=$4062.5
    Total amount borrowed by the investor=250*$25*35%=$2187.5
    Total amount received after sell=250*$32=$8,000
    Amount left after loan repayment=$8,000-$2,187.5=$5,812.5

    Hence return on investment=($4,062.5-$5,812.5)/4,062.5=43%

    We have,
    Asset of the mutual fund=$25 million
    Liabilities of the mutual fund=$4 million
    Shares outstanding=700,000
    Dividend per share=$3
    Now,
    NAV=($25,000,000-$4,000,000)/700,000=$30
    Hence,
    Dividend yield=$3/$30=10%
    Given that,
    Offer price of an open end ...

    Solution Summary

    The expert examines margin interest, holding period returns and Sharpe measures.

    $2.49

    ADVERTISEMENT