Question 1. Outline the role and function of the International Court of Justice.
Question 2. How do we actually choose the governing law that applies in international business disputes? Add an example of how this concept works in practice.
Each question needs to be 200-300 words with references. The book that I am using is International Business Law Text, cases, and readings by Ray August, Don Mayer & Michael Bixby.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com December 20, 2018, 12:54 pm ad1c9bdddf
Please find below my research to assist you in responding to your homework.
Thank you for patronizing BrainMass.
1. The role and function of the International Court of Justice .
According to the official website of the International Court of Justice (ICJ):
"The Court's role is to settle, in accordance with international law, legal disputes submitted to it by States and to give advisory opinions on legal questions referred to it by authorized United Nations organs and specialized agencies."
Source URL: http://www.icj-cij.org/court/index.php?p1=1
According to the UN Documentation: International Court of Justice,
"The Court has two functions:
• To settle, in accordance with international law, legal disputes submitted by States, and
• To give advisory opinions on legal questions referred to it by authorized UN organs and specialized agencies."
Source URL: http://research.un.org/en/docs/icj
1. The function of the ICJ regarding resolving disputes between sovereign states: The U.N. Security Council prescribes the conditions by which disputes between parties can be resolved by the court. However, a state may be subject to the court's jurisdiction only upon its consent which can either be done through (1) express agreement, (2) prior agreement in certain cases, or (3) a treaty provision.
2. The ICJ decides cases according to the international law. As such, ICJ has to apply the following in the cases: (1) international ...
* International Court of Justice: roles & functions
* basis in choosing governing law in international business contracts with a few examples
* 881 words
* six (6) non-APA references