Instructions for Practice Research Report
You need to analyse the assigned case in the context of cultural differences. This includes identifying intercultural communication problems and relating them to theories/models covered in lectures. Based on existing literature, provide recommendations on how these problems can be overcome.
Required Structure (1500 words)
Very briefly identify the purpose of the report and its subject
• Identification of Problems/Issues
Identify ALL issues/problems related to culture and communication. Categorise them into intercultural issues, intercultural verbal communication issues, and intercultural nonverbal communication issues. Demonstrate understanding of those issues through citing appropriate sources.
• Literature Review
Select a model/framework covered in lectures with a choice of GLOBE (2004), Trompenaars (1993), Hofstede (1980), Hall (1981), Schwartz (1992) or Kluckhohn and Strodtbeck (1961)
Briefly justify suitability of the culture/communication model or frameworks chosen. Critically review the culture/communication model or framework using a wide range of literature. This means briefly describe it, note its strengths and weaknesses, and then briefly conclude the review.
• Case Analysis
Explain ONLY FIVE issues/problems (identified in the Identification of Problems/Issues section) using the model or framework reviewed in the Literature Review section and any other models or frameworks or concepts covered in lectures.
Based on the case analysis, provide recommendations on how the problems/issues could be resolved/avoided. Prioritise and justify the recommendations.
• • Use numbered headings and subheadings
• • 12 font, 1.5 spacing (double-sided printing)
• • Write in formal language. Avoid first and second person pronouns (e.g. I, we and you). Use the 3rd person - "It is suggested..." - to create a sense of emotional detachment and impartiality.
• • Ensure that you use non-discriminatory, inclusive language
• • Number all pages
• • Ensure that the in-text references and the references list at the end of the report use the APAReferencing Style
• • DO NOT include table of contents, tables, quotations and appendices
• • The word limit is 1500 words - in this unit the convention is that 10% over/under the limit is acceptable.
The differences in negotiations due to cultural factors explained with the help of case study.