I need help selecting a case involving police misconduct or judicial misconduct/malfeasance. The following must include:
- Details of the case and evaluation of ethical dilemmas involved, including all key details
- Details and evaluation of the code of conduct related to the case, including the ethical responsibility of the officer (including possible differences on how an officer acts off or on duty)
- Details and evaluation of societal opinions of the case, including potential implications for the community or political figures
Be sure to address the following:
- theories of morality, values, and consequences
- judicial ethics and responsibility
- implications of judicial misconduct
- recommended course of action for the officer or judge
The case is State v. Steele, 138 Ohio St.3d 1, 2013-Ohio-2470. The case is related to police misconduct. The details of the case are as follows. In robberies committed in 2009 in Cincinnati, one resident reported a license number of a car that was moving suspiciously. The car was traced to Alicia Maxton. Officer Julian Steele arrested R.M. one of the children of Maxton even though his description did not fit that of the robbers. After repeated threats not only to R.M. but also to his family, R.M. was forced to confess and Steele charged R.M. even though he was not guilty of anything. During R.M.'s detention, Alicia was called to Steele's apartment where he offered to release R.M. if Alicia had sex with him. After threats she consented. The prosecutor found after nine days that R.M was still detained and he dismissed the charges and released him. Steele was charged with intimidation of RM and abduction of RM. Each act of Steele was morally reprehensible. From the ...
This solution explains a case of police misconduct. The sources used are also included in the solution. 626 words.