Explore BrainMass

Unemployment research


1. First, state the most recent unemployment rate for all workers in the U.S.

2. Within the unemployment data are the recent unemployment rates for various groups in the U.S. (The unemployment rate is the percentage of that group that is IN THE LABOR FORCE, BUT UNEMPLOYED). I would like to look at five specific groups (for example teenagers, government workers, etc.) and record the rate for each of them as well as how they compare to the rate for the same time last year (use the seasonally adjusted rates).

3. Discuss whether you think that rate (NOT THE CHANGE, but the actual current rate) reflects mostly frictional, structural, or cyclical unemployment.

© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com June 18, 2018, 11:03 am ad1c9bdddf

Solution Preview

The information you're looking for can be found on the Bureau of Labor Statistics web site. I went to http://www.bls.gov/cps/ and clicked on "Labor Force Statistics including the National Unemployment Rate." This brings up a table where you can choose the particular groups you're interested in. I ran the data for several groups and obtained these figures:

Unemployment ...

Solution Summary

Unemployment research on various groups in the US.