Not what you're looking for?
1-The charter of the U.S. Federal Reserve Bank makes it responsible for monetary policy and the maintenance of low unemployment. How do these responsibilities conflict with each other?
2-Discuss the principal limitations of monetary policy relative to current economic conditions?
Purchase this Solution
Limitations and conflicts in monetary policy are explained in a structured manner in this response. The answer includes references used.
1. The charter of the US Federal Reserve Bank makes it responsible for monetary policy and maintenance of low unemployment. Specifically, the Federal Reserve has been given the responsibility of maximum employment, price stability, and moderate long-term interest rates (1). These responsibilities conflict when there is inflation. The Federal Reserve has to increase interest rates to maintain price stability. When it does this, the funds available to business become costly. The businesses reduce investment and this action reduces employment (2). The Federal Reserve has several other tools during inflation to reduce the liquidity in the market. When it uses these tools the businesses reduce investment and employment declines. Similarly, when the Federal Reserve increases interest rates to fulfill its objective of maintaining long term interest rates, it reduces business activity and this reduces employment. These responsibilities conflict with each other (3).
However, in practice, when the economy is in a recession or the economic growth rate is low, the Federal ...
- BSc , University of Calcutta
- MBA, Eastern Institute for Integrated Learning in Management
- "Awesome notes. I appreciate you."
- "I have the follow-up project and I will assign that to you very soon. "
- "Thank you for your quick respond."
- "Thank you so very much!!!"
Purchase this Solution
Free BrainMass Quizzes
Discussion about various pricing techniques of profit-seeking firms.
This quiz provides a review of the basic microeconomic concepts. Students can test their understanding of major economic issues.
The quiz tests the basic concepts of demand, supply, and equilibrium in a free market.
This quiz reviews the basic concept of supply and demand analysis.
Quiz will help you to review some basics of microeconomics and macroeconomics which are often not understood.