Compiling research to support MBA Econ Research paper. Any help greatly appreciated.
There are 3 major airports within South Florida. Given this is airport oligopoly structure. If 1 airports operating expenses are increased, thus resulting in costs being passed on to the consumer -
1. What impact will it have on the consumer?
-How will the added costs trckle down to the consumer?
-Assuming consumer is price sensitive, and choices not to fly out of this airport, what are the travel alternatives?
2. What impact will it have on the airlines?
-Will it force the above airport to cut or eliminate services?
-Given the nearby airports will not raise their prices, how will the shift in consumer demand impact them?
In an oligopoly, each firm can set its own price to some degree. Other firms watch their rivals to determine the most profitable price. An increase in expenses would be a signal to raise prices. One airport would likely act as a "price leader" and increase its price slightly. The other airports would likely follow suit. The final price would therefore be higher, in essence causing the increased expenses to be borne by the consumer.
The slope of the demand curve tells us how "price sensitive" consumers are. A steep demand curve indicates that for every unit the price increases, the quantity demanded will decline by proportionately less. A demand curve with a shallow slope indicates the opposite. Consumers who are price sensitive could choose to travel to nearby airports or to travel by a different method. However most people travel for convenience and a slightly higher price would probably not deter them.
So, assuming the shallow demand curve, we ...
The effects of increased operating expenses on airport oligopoloy are determined.
Monopolies and Oligopolies Explored
1. How many major wireless phone handset manufacturers are there? What is the market structure? What pricing strategies do wireless phone handset manufacturers use? How do wireless phone makers attempt to differentiate their handset offerings?
2. In two of the four market structures (monopoly, Oligopoly, Monopolistic Competition, or Perfect Competition), using price to compete is not an option; what can you do to improve revenues in one of these structures? Select a company and describe the effects on the organization of using this strategy.
3. Identify an organization and recommend methods to reduce costs. What effects do technologies have on costs? What are some lower-cost sources the organization can utilize to reduce costs? What considerations might cause a profit-maximizing firm to decide to forgo using lower-cost sources?
4. Among the four principal market structure models, monopoly and oligopoly offer the best opportunities for a firm to earn economic profits in the long run. What are some strategies for the firm which is earning economic profits to legally sustain them over time? Discuss this question in terms of monopolies and oligopolies.View Full Posting Details