I have attached the assignment.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 16, 2018, 9:51 pm ad1c9bdddf
The response address the queries posted in 2166 words with references.
// As per the requirement of the paper, the introductory section will be discussed, which will explain about 'Target Corporation' in short and how it operates and what kind of activities take place in it. It will help in gaining knowledge about the Company. //
Target Corporation is the second largest retail chain in the United States. Target and Super Target are the brand names of the discount stores of Target Corporation. Target Corporation provides high quality products and merchandises to the consumers. It is differentiated from its competitors by its upscale and high quality products which are offered at a reasonable price. It has 1648 stores in 47 states which are operated in a clean, spacious and guest friendly environment.
Ratios are relative figures which reflect the relationship between different variables. They enable an analyst to analyze the financial position of a company. It also helps in the comparison of the company with another firm or industry. Following are the performance ratios of the company which explain about its growth (Target Corporation Annual Report, 2007)
// After discussing about the introductory part, the next section will discuss about the significance of various ratios like current ratio, quick ratio, inventory turnover ratio, net profit margin ratio, ROI, ROE and price to earning ratio. //
Significance of Ratios
1. Current ratio -Current ratio is calculated by dividing the current assets by current liabilities. A good current ration is 2:1 which defines that the firm has to pay 2 dollars for a short term obligation of 1 dollar. It measures the short term liquidity position of the company. In the case of Target Corporation, the current ratio is 1.60 and 1.32 for two consecutive years. It defines that the company has to pay 1.60 dollars for a short term liability of 1 dollar in the year 2008. It has increased from the previous years.
This ratio also defines the efficiency of the management and the manner in which it meets with the short term obligations. The industry average is 1.48:1, which is lesser than the ratio of the company. Less risky company attracts new investment. Target Corporation is in a good situation and can be assumed to be safe from the point of view of the investors.
2. Quick ratio - It is also known as the liquidity ratio. It is the measurement of the instant debt paying ability of the business enterprise. It explains the relationship between quick current assets and current liabilities. An ideal quick ratio is 1:1. Financial position is considered to be well if the ratio is 1:1 or more. For 2008, the quick ratio of the company is 1.60:1 which explains that the financial position of the company is strong and it is able to meet the unexpected demand of the working capital. But for 2007, financial position of the company is not sound because it is less than an ideal ratio. Industry average ratio is 0.65:1, which is less than the ratio of the company. Target Corporation is performing well in comparison to the industry.
3. Inventory Turnover Ratio - It is calculated by dividing sales by the average inventory. It indicates the speed at which the inventory is sold. A low ratio signifies that the management is not able to sell the inventory at a fast rate and stores it in ...
The response addresses the queries posted in 1905 Words and excel file, APA References
Performance of a Public Company
I need help with the following problems
1) Assess the organizational performance of a public company using financial statement and ratio analysis. Use at least three ratios & explain why you chose them & what they mean in your assessment.
2) Discuss valuation techniques as applied to external & internal investment strategiesView Full Posting Details