Explore BrainMass
Share

Explore BrainMass

    Oneida Cash Budget, Collections, Purchases & Loan

    This content was COPIED from BrainMass.com - View the original, and get the already-completed solution here!

    During the last week of August, Oneida Company's owner approaches the bank for a $99,000 loan to be made on September 2 and repaid on November 30 with annual interest of 12%, for an interest cost of $2,970. The owner plans to increase the store's inventory by $60,000 during September and needs the loan to pay for inventory acquisitions. The bank's loan officer needs more information about Oneida's ability to repay the loan and asks the owner to forecast the store's November 30 cash position. On September 1, Oneida is expected to have a $4,500 cash balance, $145,300 of accounts receivable, and $100,000 of accounts payable. Its budgeted sales, merchandise purchases, and various cash disbursements for the next three months follow:

    Budgeted Figures
    Sales:
    September $250,000
    October $465,000
    November $460,000

    Merchandise purchases:
    September $230,000
    October $210,000
    November $196,000

    Cash Disbursements
    Payroll
    September $19,800
    October $21,900
    November $24,100
    Rent
    September $11,000
    October $11,000
    November $11,000
    Other cash expenses
    September $35,200
    October $31,800
    November $21,200
    Repayment of bank loan
    November $99,000
    Interest on the bank loan
    November $2,970
    Operations began in August; August sales were $190,000 and purchases were $110,000.

    The budgeted September merchandise purchases inlude the inventory increase. All sales are on account. The company predicts that 23% of credit sales are collected in the month of the sale, 47% in the month following the sale, 19% in the second month, 7% in the third, and the remainder is uncollectible.

    Applying these percents to the August credit sales for example, shows that $89,300 of the $190,000 will be collected in September, $36,100 in October, and $13,300 in November All merchandise is purchased on credit; 70% of the balance is paid in the month following a purchase, and the remaining 30% is paid in the second month. For example, of the $110,000 August purchases, $77,000 will be paid in September and $33,000 in October.

    Prepare a cash budget for September, October, and November for Oneida Company. Show supporting calculations as needed.

    © BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 10, 2019, 7:20 am ad1c9bdddf
    https://brainmass.com/business/budgets/oneida-cash-budget-collections-purchases-loan-577505

    Solution Summary

    See tutorial in Excel showing schedules to figure collections from credit sales, disbursements for inventory purchases and a full cash budget, including loan and repayment with interest.

    $2.19