1. Viger Corporation has a standard cost system in which it applies manufacturing overhead to products on the basis of standard machine-hours (MHs). The company has provided the following data for the most recent month: Budgeted level of activity 9,700 MHs Actual level of activity 9,900 MHs Cost formula for variable manufacturing overhead cost $6.30 per MH Budgeted fixed manufacturing overhead cost $49,000 Actual total variable manufacturing overhead $60,390 Actual total fixed manufacturing overhead $47,000 What was the variable overhead spending variance for the month?
a. $2,000 favorable
b. $720 favorable
c. $1,260 unfavorable
d. $1,980 favorable
2. Amirault Manufacturing Corporation has a standard cost system in which it applies manufacturing overhead to products on the basis of standard machine-hours (MHs). The company's cost formula for variable manufacturing overhead is $4.00 per MH. During the month, the actual total variable manufacturing overhead was $18,040 and the actual level of activity for the period was 4,100 MHs. What was the variable overhead spending variance for the month?
a. $410 favorable
b. $1,640 unfavorable
c. $1,640 favorable
d. $410 unfavorable
3. Maertz Corporation applies manufacturing overhead to products on the basis of standard machine-hours. The budgeted fixed overhead cost for the most recent month was $10,890 and the actual fixed overhead cost for the month was $10,540. The company based its original budget on 3,300 machine-hours. The standard hours allowed for the actual output of the month totaled 3,240 machine-hours. What was the overall fixed overhead budget variance for the month?
a. $198 unfavorable
b. $350 unfavorable
c. $198 favorable
d. $350 favorable
4. Isadore Hospital bases its budgets on patient-visits. The hospital's static budget for July appears below: Budgeted number of patient-visits 7,700 Budgeted variable overhead costs: Supplies (@ $4.60 per patient-visit) $ 35,420 Laundry (@ $7.20 per patient-visit) 55,440 Total variable overhead cost 90,860 Budgeted fixed overhead costs: Salaries 46,200 Occupancy costs 67,760 Total fixed overhead cost 113,960 Total budgeted overhead cost $204,820 Actual results for the month were: Actual number of patient-visits 7,800 Supplies $38,250 Laundry $61,240 Salaries $46,190 Occupancy costs $65,650 The variance for supplies costs in the flexible budget performance report for the month is:
a. $2,370 U
b. $2,370 F
c. $2,830 F
d. $2,830 U
5. Azzurra Company manufactures computer chips used in aircraft and automobiles. Manufacturing overhead at Azzurra is applied to production on the basis of standard machine-hours. Which overhead variance(s) at Azzurra would be affected in a favorable manner if more computer chips are produced during the year than originally budgeted?
a. variable overhead spending variance
b. variable overhead efficiency variance
c. fixed overhead budget variance
d. fixed overhead volume variance
Word document attached answers 5 multiple choices questions with explanation on the subject of budgeting.