Why has Latin America experienced so much political upheaval in the last century?
- Compare the causes of at least two conflicts.
- How have memory movements responded to political violence in Latin America?
- How are Mexico's Zapatista movement and Peru's Shining Path movement similar? In what ways are they different?
- How are criminal gangs like Mara Salvatrucha (MS 13) and similar gangs or drug cartels different from populist political movements in Latin America?
1. A major cause of the conflict known as la Violencia in Columbia, which involved the killing of over 140,000 in the late 1940s and early 1950s, was over the control and distribution of resources within this nation, that was heavily contested due to the differing ideologies of the conservatives and liberals in this nation. The conflict in Guatemala was caused by disagreements between Communists and non Communist ideologies within this nation, which resulted in a struggle for political power, as well as the resources of this ...