Each instructor will have different requirements and standards that you will be evaluated on. These will be different depending on the level of education. A conversation with your instructor about expectations will ensure a better understanding of the marking scheme. The following are just general things to keep in mind while writing your lab.
1. Keep your writing concise and scientific. Instructors want to see that their students understand exactly what happened in the experiment. A laboratory write-up should not be written as an essay. Scientific facts abd figures should be used.
2. Keep your laboratory write-up neat and easy to follow. Instructors will generally mark harder if they cannot easily read what is written. They do not want to have to decode what you have said in your write-up.
3. Make sure all information included is relevant to the topic that is being researched. Do not add additional information that is not relevant. This refers back to the first point. This is a scientific write-up, not an essay.
4. In the lab, follow the procedure completely. Try to get the “best” results as possible. If something goes wrong, try the experiment again. Make sure all steps are followed. Generally, there are points assigned to how well you conduct yourself in the laboratory. Be professional and take a lot of notes on what you observe in the laboratory. There is not such thing as to many laboratory notes.
5. Ensure all calculations are correct and easy to follow. Record all final answers with units. Also make sure you write down all the steps of your calculations in the calculation section of your laboratory write-up. It is important to record your answers with relevance and distinction. Therefore units are extremely important. If the instructor has specified specific units, be sure to follow them.
6. Be sure to compare results with literature values and reference all external findings. It is important to cross reference results with literature values. These values can be found on the internet, databases, or in textbooks. These values will confirm if your values were correct. Be sure to include your literature findings within your laboratory write-up.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com January 27, 2022, 5:54 am ad1c9bdddf