1. Sam needs to get carpet for two rooms of his house. Estimate the number of square feet (square footage) in the two rooms if one room measures 10 ½ feet by 9 ¾ feet; and the other room measures 19¼ feet by 18 ½ feet.
3. Melissa wants to have concrete driveway in front of her house. The driveway will measure 62 1/3 feet long and 19 feet wide; and will be 2/3 foot thick. How many cubic yards of cement will be needed for the driveway? Round your answer to the nearest cubic yard. [1 cubic yd = 27 cubic feet]
5. Find a counterexample to show that the following statement is incorrect:
"The sum of any two odd numbers is divisible by 4"
6. An operator assisted call to another country costs $5.84 for 10 minutes. The same call dialed directly costs $0.39 for the first minute and $0.25 for each additional minute. How much money is saved on a 10 minute call by dialing directly?
8. Complete the magic square below (Please see attached document).
9. Sam found a number of nickels, dimes, and quarters in his room. He found three more dimes than nickels but twice as many quarters as dimes. The total value of the coins was $5.05. how many coins of each type did Sam find?
Several word problems are solved using the method of solving linear equations. A detailed explanation for conjecture is given in one of the questions and question 8 is solved in an attached Word document. All steps are provided for reaching the final values for each problem.