1) How can the graph of f(x) = -(x -1 )2 be obtained from the graph of y = x2?
A) Shift it horizontally 1 units to the right. Reflect it across the x-axis.
B) Shift it horizontally 1 units to the left. Reflect it across the x-axis..
C) Shift it horizontally 1 units to the right. Reflect it across the y-axis.
D) Shift it horizontally 1 units to the right. Reflect it across the x-axis. Shift it 6 units up.
2) Solve the quadratic inequality. Express your answer in interval notation.
(x - 1)( x + 5) < 0
4) Find the vertex of the parabola f(x) = 4x2 - 32x + 63
5) Solve the quadratic inequality. Express your answer in interval notation.
x2 - 11x + 30 > 0
7) The point at which a company's costs equals its revenue is the break-even. C represents cost, in dollars, of x units of a product. R represents the revenue, in dollars, for the sale of x units. Find the number of units that must be produced and sold in order to break even.
C = 15x + 12,000
R = 18x - 6000
8) In economics, functions that involve revenue, cost and profit are used. Suppose R(x) and C(x) denote the total revenue and the total cost, respectively, of producing a new high-tech widget. The difference P(x) = R(x) - C(x) represents the total profit for producing x widgets. Given R(x) = 60x -
0.4 x2 and C(x) = 3x + 13, find the equation for P(x).
9) Determine whether there is a maximum or minimum value for the given function, and find that value. f(x) = x2 - 20x +104
A) Maximum: -4 B) Minimum: 0 C) Minimum: 4 D) Maximum: 10
10) Write the slope-intercept equation (y = mx + b) for a line with the given characteristics. m = 3, passing through (1, -2)
11) Find the slope of the line containing the given points: (2, -8); (-7, 3)
Find the slope of the line.