1. Multiply. (10x9)(-5x8)
2. Write using positive exponents only. b-19
3. Write 0.0000073 in scientific notation.
4. Add 10y2 + 9y - 2 and 10y2 + 6y - 7.
5. Multiply. (2x - 5y)(3x - y)
6. Multiply. (2m - n)2
8. The distance from a star to a planet is 5.1  1018 m. How long does it take light, traveling at 1016 m/year, to travel from the star to the planet?
10. Subtract 2x - 3x2 + 5x3 from 5x3 + 4x - x2.
11. Find the greatest common factor. 21b2, 35b3, 70b10
12. Use the ac test to determine if the following trinomial can be factored. If it can be factored, find the values of m and n.
3x2 + 11x - 4
13. Factor. 12x4y3 + 16x3y3 - 20x3y4
14. If the sides of a square are decreased by 3 cm, the area is decreased by 81 cm2. What were the dimensions of the original square?
15. Factor. x(x - 1) + 9(x - 1)
16. Factor. 9x(x + 6y) - 4(x + 6y)
17. Factor completely. 5x2 + 39x + 28
18. Rewrite the middle term as the sum of two terms and then factor by grouping.
x2 + 11x + 10
19. Rewrite the middle term as the sum of two terms and then factor by grouping.
x2 - 2x - 15
20. Solve. x2 + 8x + 15 = 0
21. If one-half a number is subtracted from five-sixths of the number, the difference is 6. Find the number.
23. Add. Express your answer in simplest form.
24. A 6-foot pole casts a shadow of 4 feet. How tall is a tree with a shadow of 18 feet?
25. One number is 3 times another. If the sum of their reciprocals is , find the two numbers.
26. Write in simplest form.
27. Add. Express your answer in simplest form.
28. Subtract. Write your answer in simplest form.
30. What values for x must be excluded in the following fraction?
31. Evaluate , if possible.
32. Find the length x. Express your answer in simplified radical form.
33. Which two expressions are equivalent?
34. Find the distance between (19, -8) and (7, -3).
35. Evaluate , if possible.
36. Simplify. Assume x represents a positive number.
38. Use a calculator to approximate to the nearest hundredth.
39. Graph the quadratic equation after completing the given table of values. y = x2 - 1
40. The length of a rectangle is 3 cm more than 2 times its width. If the area of the rectangle is 89 cm2, find the dimensions of the rectangle to the nearest thousandth.
41. Identify the axis of symmetry, create a suitable table of values, then sketch the graph (including the axis of symmetry).
y = x2 - 4x
42. Find the x-intercepts.
y = x2 + x - 5
43. Find the x-intercepts.
y = x2 - 4x + 4
44. Graph the quadratic equation after completing the given table of values. y = -x2 - 2x
45. Find the axis of symmetry.
y = -x2 - 8x + 5
46. The height h in feet of an object after t seconds is given by the function
h = -16t2 + 60t + 9.
How long will it take the object to hit the ground? Round your answer to the nearest thousandth.
Forty-six basic algebra problems are solved. The solution is detailed and well presented. The response received a rating of "5/5" from the student who originally posted the question.